Thursday, March 24, 2022

Songs I Didn't Skip (Part 12)

 I'm starting to wonder if I should be a bit more picky.


"Breakdown Dead Ahead" by Boz Skaggs (1980)

Second-string Boz with his backup band at their usual Yacht Rock best.

"Girl, You Have No Faith in Medicine" by The White Stripes (2003)

Truly a song for our times.

"Gethsemane (I Only Want to Say)" by Ian Gillan (Jesus Christ Superstar, 1970 version)

The only thing keeping this track from being, "Deep Purple....WITH STRINGS" is the lack of an organ solo.

"Hold Your Head Up" by Argent (1972)

Wait, there's the missing organ solo!

"Morning Has Broken" by Cat Stevens (1971)

I've often thought that Cat Stevens wrote a perfect church song. Well, it turns out that this IS a church song, that he covered from 1931. Also, I swear Rick Wakeman is channeling Floyd Cramer on the piano track.

"Ministry of Love" by Eurythmics (1984)

I haven't seen the movie that this track came from but there's a good dark 80s groove in this bundle of synths and vocals.

"Ran Tan Waltz" by Kate Bush (1980)

This is a weirdo B side that sounds like it has a fuzzy fake tuba synth. All too appropriate for a song that Kate herself apparently called, "good, naughty fun".

"This Time" by INXS (1985)

A just-OK INXS track but still decent. I have this in rotation because it was on LP called "Greenpeace Breakthrough" which was a compilation of 80s hits, distributed by the state-owned record label Melodiya. I picked this vinyl up on a band trip to the Soviet Union in 1988. People were selling this and other things to tourists in the streets of Moscow at the time. If you hit the wikipedia page with translation, you'll see that it is a very solid playlist of 80s alt pop hits. The double LP also came with a large booklet I could never read. Cool.

"Light My Fire" by Helmut Zacharias (1969)

I like to imagine that this was done by a middle-aged Esquivel who had gone soft and wanted something to listen to while playing golf with Gerald Ford.

"Moon Rocks" by Talking Heads (1982)

Another great dog exercising/poop patrol tune.

No comments:

Post a Comment