Saturday, March 5, 2022

Songs I Didn't Skip (Part 10)

 Part 10? Are you kidding me?!


"D.I.Y." by Peter Gabriel (1978)

A classic PG track. The piano sounds like it came out of a saloon and it's perhaps one of the earliest uses of the Chapman Stick on a pop recording though it usually sounds indistinguishable from a conventional fretless electric bass here. 

"I Want Your Love" by Chic (1978)

On a lot of these old disco hits, I often think of all the string players who had steady work playing on these tracks.

"Romeo Had Juliet" by Lou Reed (1989)

I'm pretty sure this was one of the first Lou Reed albums I'd heard when it came out. It took me a while to warm up to it but this one is so lyrically dense that it rewards close examination. 

"Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps" by CAKE (1996)

An interesting take on the old Doris Day song.

"Nothing's Changed" by Chris Isaak (1989)

Isaak does one thing and he does it well. This was from his most popular and probably best album of reverb-soaked retro crooning. 

"Party People" by Parliament (1979)

"Funky" doesn't even begin to describe this and other Parliament songs. This one grooves along until it adds this extra sax solo and a vocal that sounds like the guy from "You're A Mean One, Mister Grinch". 

"Mystified" by Fleetwood Mac (1987)

This was the first FM album I got familiar with as it came out at a time when I was buying CDs and the choices were more slim...maybe it was a "free" selection from BMG or Columbia House?

"Floater" by Bob Dylan (2001)

It sure sounds like Bob just came up with a tune and just wrote random goofy lyrics while he was having a smoke. Nonetheless, I like it.

"Tin Man" by America (1974)

Smoooooooooth. 

"Domino" by Van Morrison (1970)

Wow, he really nailed the American 60s R&B sound...or stole it but who's counting?

"ZZ Top Goes to Egypt" (1986)

Another song by a "Van". This one always cracks me up with the meandering slightly out-of-tune violin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment