Friday, February 18, 2022

Songs I Didn't Skip (Part 6)

 "Farewell Andromeda (Welcome To My Morning)" by John Denver (1973)

Nice JD song I wasn't familiar with, though a little overproduced. It would have been fun to see Denver do an "unplugged" style album in his later years, had he not died so young.

"Twilight" by ELO (1981)

A pretty decent, if not great, ELO track with the usual ELO muddy mix/production. It sounds like Jeff borrowed the synth loops from The Who.

"Poinciana" by Esquivel (1958)

Don't know who Esquivel was? Go check him out and thank me later.

"The Voice" by The Moody Blues (1981)

Fun fact: I once played in a backup orchestra for one of their live shows. Keen. This song seems like a far stretch from the earlier prog-rock staples but is well crafted to get the band through the 80s with some synth-heavy, smooth pop goodness. "Won't you take me back to school. I need to learn the golden rule". Deep

"Another Day" by James Taylor (1998)

A version of this from Taylor's 1998 "Live at the Beacon" concert film. Taylor is always great and this has to be one of the best sounding pop live recordings I've heard. 

"White Winter Hymnal" by Fleet Foxes (2008)

This band has a very unique sound and is a fit for exercising the dog while freezing one's ass off. The album it's from also made Rolling Stone's list of "40 greatest stoner albums". Heh.

"Break My Stride" by Matthew Wilder (1983)

A classic 80s (one) hit with some odd lyrical choices. And why does he roll his "R" on "running so fast"?

"Glass Onion" by The Beatles (1968/2006)

From the 2006 soundtrack album of the "Love" Cirque Vegas show. This is one of the better, if brief, mashups. The whole thing is surprisingly well done.


No comments:

Post a Comment