Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Songs I Didn't Skip (Part 2)

 Previously on "Songs I Didn't Skip"

"Thing Called Love" by Bonnie Raitt (1989)

One of those somewhat rare covers that manages to outdo the original, this version has a swing to it that the song benefits from. The John Hiatt version is no slouch, though it isn't my favorite from that album. 


"The Great Valerio" by Richard and Linda Thompson (1974)

Another song that falls last on an album. I'll get concerned if "Her Majesty" from Abbey Road shows up soon. This song really doesn't sound like something from 1974, perhaps due to its sparse instrumentation, but no matter. This song always pulls me in with is crystal clear bleakness. 


"Magic Moments" by Perry Como (1958)

Perry Como?! I would never have guessed that this was written by Burt Bacharach. Maybe that bassoon line was throwing me off. 


"Animals" by Talking Heads (1979)

It would have been funny if this had popped up back to back after the Perry Como song but alas, it didn't. I love the chord progressions and rhythm on this song and David Byrne does just enough unhinged vocal delivery. Lyrics like, 

"I know the animals...are laughing at us

They don't even know...what a joke is


"Subdivisions" by Rush (1982)

This one, which may not be considered one of their critical favorites, usually gets played when I happen upon it. It has all of the aspects I like from this band but doesn't wear out its welcome. And you have to dig those 80s synths!


"Love Won't Work" by Gene (1999)

I stopped on this one more out of curiosity. I think it came from some random CD sampler I borrowed long ago, lost in the mists of physical media time. The song is, well, fine, I guess but it is way too close for comfort to sounding like a Smiths tribute band.


"Kiss of Life" by Peter Gabriel (1982)

Another end-of-album track. This is probably the least discussed song on the "Security" album and it doesn't try too hard, thematically which makes it a great dog-walking listen. Also great:  the drum/percussion grooves by Jerry Marotta. 


"Love is Blindness" by Jack White (2011)

As a U2 non-fan, I'd probably choose this song as my favorite if asked. This version is great for the first half or so but gets a little too bombastic (duh). Lots of sledgehammer drums sound. I'd probably skip this one if it came up again soon as my favorite version of this is by Cassandra Wilson. 


"Driver's Seat" by Sniff 'n' The Tears (1978)

I'll end this entry with another one-hitter. A catchy song can make do with low-rent lyrics if the tune is like this one. I mean, what is this song even about? Who cares: it sounds great on the radio. 



    

No comments:

Post a Comment