Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Songs I Didn't Skip (Part 20)

 "Well...All Right" by Blind Faith (1969)

A different but inferior cover of the Buddy Holly classic. This particular Supergroup could have done a bit more with this. 

"Skip Tracer" by Sonic Youth (1995)

A very 90s sounding alt-rock track with lines like, "shouting the poetic truths of high school journal keepers". 

"Bluebeard" by Cocteau Twins (1993)

Those twins sure do get around.

"Hello Walls" by Willie Nelson (1962)

I know the Nelson version of this song better than the Faron Young cover, which was a lot more popular at the time. I guess that makes me some kind of hipster.

"Know Your Onion" by The Shins (2001)

Speaking of hipsters, you probably were (or wanted to be) one if you were listening to this band 20-ish years ago. Sheesh. 

"Pressed Rat and Warthog" by Cream (1968)

What the hell is an "atonal apple"?

"Children Say" by Level 42 (1987)

Still good 80s pop/funk that is best when you don't pay too much attention to the lyrics.

"If I Could" by Phish (1994)

A decent song from one of Phish's more mainstream releases, or so I gather.

"Mr. Big Stuff" by Jean Knight (1971)

Another Stax-produced song I wasn't familiar with. Groovy.

"Just What I Needed" by The Cars (1978)

The first Cars single and one of their best.

"Waiting in Vain" by Bob Marley and The Wailers (1977)

Pretty much anything on "Exodus" is worth lingering on. 

"White Horse" by Laid Back (1983)

Gee, could this song be about drugs?  ....no way!

"Let's Groove" by Earth, Wind, & Fire (1981)

A late disco hit, heavy on the vocoder.

"Sunset Strip" by Roger Waters (1987)

Even though this is from the "lesser" Water Rogers album, it's still decent and the songs work well if you just forget the silly concept. And hey, it has the line, "Calling me back, back to the Black Hills again"! Somehow I don't think he's talking about Western South Dakota.

"Battle Scar" by The 88 (2005)

Another alt-pop band (whatever that is) that I think I listened to after they appeared on a TV show. In this case, it was "The OC" which was a very good show back in the day. They also did the theme from the great sitcom, "Community". 

"Bring It On" by Seal (1994)

More Trevor Horn-produced slickness. It still sounds good today, from the same album with that song used in "Batman Forever". I'd wager that the song will outlast the movie.

"Common People" by Pulp (1995)

This is a really good song even though the William Shatner/Ben Folds cover version edges it out for me. It isn't fair, but it's hard to compete with the Shat.

"All Night Long" by Joe Walsh (1980)

Speaking of soundtracks that outlast their movies, this one is from the "Urban Cowboy" soundtrack. Perhaps a nostalgic favorite for some but otherwise forgettable. The movie, that is.

"Mind Your Own Business" by Hank Williams (1949)

It's really the same song as "Move It On Over" with different words, but it does have the line, "'Cause me and that sweet woman's got a license to fight". 

"Failure" by The La's (1990)

Another good track from this pop classic.

"No Compassion" by Talking Heads (1977)

Yes, people indeed have problems.

"Hammer to Fall" by Queen (1984)

One of my favorite Queen songs, I forgot how late this one was in their career. It sounds like an early track and is mostly stripped down to the rock basics.

"Swearin' to God" by Frankie Valli (1975)

Frank's first foray into Disco. I'll give him this much, he knew how to adapt to changing "taste". 

"Don't Panic" by Coldplay (2001)

One of the best, as far as I know (which isn't much), Coldplay songs.

"Chains of Love" by Erasure (1988)

Great retro-Europop. I'm just making these categories up as I go. Also, the song does have something to say about acceptance. 

"Whenever You're On My Mind" by Marshall Crenshaw (1983)

For me, this is the Marshall Crenshaw song.

"A Lonely Voice" by October Project (1993)

This band has a pretty unique sound and the album the song came from has some strong tracks. It was nice to hear it again after so long.

"Don't Let the Stars Get in Your Eyes" by Perry Como (1952)

Another song about not trusting your romantic partner or at least giving her (yeah, it's always a she) advice about not straying. Como's lines in the song seem to be reinforced by some obnoxious trombones! Also, it's a little odd that Perry Como is better represented on this list than The Beatles. Hmmm. I could have excluded "easy listening" from the genre filter but it would eliminate gems like this. Hahahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment