Thursday, May 5, 2022

Songs I Didn't Skip (Part 18)

 My, how I go on...


"Double Vision" by Foreigner (1978)

So, the song isn't about being high, but a hockey injury. How boring. One of the best hits from this band.

"Coup D'etat" by Level 42 (1985)

Our former president was obviously a fan of this song. Hahahahaha. The lyrics seem to be a strained metaphor for relationships but I can't deny the extremely good funk bass playing by lead vocalist Mark King. His slap bass sound really plays well with all of the synths. 

"In Love" by Fear of Pop (1998)

An early Ben Folds/William Shatner collaboration that I imagine is what someone's diary entry sounds like when put to music and dramatic Shat line readings.

"Words" by Missing Persons (1982)

The leads for this group used to work with Frank Zappa?!

"In Germany Before The War" by Randy Newman (1977)

Another RN song about awful people. Not exactly good dog exercising music but I lingered on it anyway.

"Big Time Sensuality" by Bjork (1993)

This has a great lyric that goes, "I don't know my future after this weekend and I don't want to." MUCH better dog walking tune!

"The Letter" by Joe Cocker (1970)

There weren't a ton of recorded-live rock and roll hits back then. This had to have been one of the first.

"Some Like It Hot" by The Power Station (1985)

Supergroooooop!

"Give Me the Night" by George Benson (1980)

So smooth and funky that it transcends its place in the disco category. 

"Don't Talk to Strangers" by Rick Springfield (1982) 

Leave it to a guy named "Rick" (sorry Ricks!) to offer this advice to his lady friend.

"Roy Walker" by Belle and Sebastian (2003)

Little did I know that this band was, in fact, not just two people named Belle and Sebastian. 

"Roy Rogers" by Elton John (1973)

Oh boy, the Music app is being funny today. Good lyric:  "Comic book characters never grow old".

"She Bop" by Cyndi Lauper (1984)

It had been a while since I'd heard this one. Another solid hit 

"The Real Life" by John Mellencamp (1987)

I feel like I posted about this song and it *did* come up on some past listening...or I am really forgetful. Maybe it's a sign I am about to start repeating things. Gack.

"Buena Vista Social Club" by Buena Vista Social Club (1997)

A great instrumental slow-groove song from this album. I love the way they work Ry Cooder's slide guitar into the ensemble. 

"You and Whose Army?" by Radiohead (2001)

I preferred the album this song came from, "Amnesiac" from its concurrently released LP, "Kid A" which was more "out there" if you will. The former better represents what I like or look for when I listen to this band and that's probably more on the mainstream side if I'm honest. I suppose I just don't want to work that hard when I listen to pop.

"Meet Me Halfway" by Kenny Loggins (1987)

Kenny really new how to churn out those 80s hits. Telling:  there are four people credited with "synthesizers" on that track!

"Everloving" by Moby (1999)

Now *that* is some good dog walking music.

"River, Stay 'Way From My Door" by Frank Sinatra (1961)

Well, what do you know? A Sinatra song about floods!

"Waltz (Better Than Fine)" by Fiona Apple (2005)

I've always liked this little tune. "If you don't have a date, celebrate. Just go out and sit on the lawn and do nothing." 




No comments:

Post a Comment