Friday, April 1, 2022

Songs I Didn't Skip (Part 14)

 Full disclosure: a couple of these I ended up listening to because I was cooking and wasn't able to wash my hands in time. I won't tell you which ones.

"Bottle of Blues" by Beck (1998)

Here's one by an artist I can say is one of the last "cool" acts I was into when their material was new. Beck seemed to, at the time I was listening, alternate between pseudo retro acoustic songs and electronic tracks. This is the former. I always liked his versatility but, "you can't make love to no Beck!".

“Mamas Don’t Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys” by Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings (1978)

An old-fashioned fadeout for an old-fashioned song.


"Side" by Travis (2001)

I enjoy the music on this song more than the lyrics which try a little too hard to be profound.


"The Look of Love (Part One) by ABC (1982)

Did anyone ever listen to Part Two?


"Long, Long, Long" by The Beatles (1968)

One of the best tracks on "The White Album" and it's by George.


"Hiawatha" by Laurie Anderson (1989)

I listened to this album a lot in college. It's pretty atypical Anderson but still great and has huge list of all-star session musicians on it, including that amazing bassist who played on the "Graceland" album.


"Mambo Italiano" by Rosemary Clooney (1954)

A very goofy novelty song that was trying to mock/take advantage of the popularity of latin music at the time, It sounds like the same obnoxious harpsichord player that's on her earlier hit, "Come on-a My House". Some people must have really loathed Mitch Miller in those days.


"The Payback" by James Brown (1973)

There's a reason this shows up so often in movies/TV.


"The Promised Land" by Bruce Springsteen (1978)

Again with the 1978!


"Can't Get There From Here" by R.E.M. (1985)

There's a baritone sax on this song! ("But I'm looking for the same Old Place")


"You Can All Join In" by Traffic (1968)

Steve Winwood really stands out in the background vocals. Catchy song.


"Give Me Strength" by Howard Jones (1986)

HJ does...reggae? And, there's a credit on this album for "tap-dancing".

No comments:

Post a Comment