Friday, September 6, 2024

Songs I Didn't Skip (Part 41)

 Every once in a while, I remember I was doing this thing.

"15 Step" by Radiohead (2007)

From perhaps a second-tier Radiohead album...which is still really good! The other notable thing I recall from this one was the publicity it generated when the band released it as an mp3 download where you could name your price (including zero). It was still the age of CDs and digital music downloads (this album would not show up on Spotify until 2016); an interesting time for the music business.

"The Party's Over" by Willie Nelson (1967)

Nelson really knew how to shame a drunk.

"Fixing a Hole" by The Beatles (mono, 1967)

I'm sure I've gone on about the Beatles mono mixes before but this is another example of their overall superiority. 

"Your Sister Can't Twist (but She Can Rock and Roll)" by Elton John (1973)

A deep cut from the monster LP, "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road". 

"Rhiannon" by Fleetwood Mac (1975)

I don't have much to contribute to this monster hit of the 70s that remains one of Nicks's strongest songs.

"Rocks Off" by The Rolling Stones (1972)

Mick sounds a little drunk on this one but Charlie Watts pulls him along.

"One of the Millions" by XTC (1989)

A great bass line on this 3/4 time track. The back story of this band is an extended bummer.

"Waltz Across Texas Tonight" by Emmylou Harris (1995)

Hmm, another song in 3! I do find the album this came from to have aged pretty well. Sure, it still sounds a tad weird with its ice-cold, reverb drenched production, but I still think it's great, nearly 30 years later(!).

"Learnt My Lesson Well" by Kaiser Chiefs (2007)

This would mash up well with ELO's "Mr. Blue Sky", don't you think?

"High and Dry" by Radiohead (1995)

Oh yeah, now this is peak Radiohead.

"Baby I'm A-Want You" by Bread (1972)

I'm a-not sure about the grammar on this one!

"Ain't That a Shame" by Pat Boone (1955)

I can picture Pat taking time between Chevrolet ads to make this recording. No one but Boone could make an R&B song sound this white.

"Rest Your Love on Me" by Bee Gees (1978)

It's fun to hear these guys do a Country song in the middle of their Disco Glory Years.

"Getting In Tune" by The Who (1971)

Have I hit every song from the album this song came from ("Who's Next") yet? There's one I would probably skip but the rest are genuine classics.

"Sara Smile" by The Bird and the Bee (2010)

A great Hall & Oates cover. 

"The World Isn't Fair" by Randy Newman (2003)

Another one where Newman performs a piano/vocal-only version of one of his songs. This version works better than the original, which is a bit over-orchestrated (shocking, I know).

"Tired of Your Jive" by B.B. King (2005)

How can you skip a song with that title???

"Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" by Willie Nelson (1975)

Willie tackled an old 1940s Country tune and found himself with a hit record, which boosted his career at the time. 

"All The Way to Reno (You're Gonna Be a Star)" by REM (2001)

This is okay but I don't the band's keyboard-heavy later material has aged as well.

"She's a Lady" by Tom Jones (1971)

Speaking aging well...or not.

"Advice for the Young at Heart" by Tears for Fears (1989)

I find it interesting how much the sound of this group changed album to album, at least through the first three. From sorta-edgy synth pop, to new wave or something (whatever you'd call the style of "Songs From the Big Chair"), to openly riffing on The Beatles with big production values.

No comments:

Post a Comment