Monday, January 23, 2023

Dad's Movies: Father Goose

 And now, it's Father Goose (1964)

I grew up in a pro-Cary Grant home so this movie was on rotation but I'd managed to avoid watching the whole thing until now. 

The whole thing is pretty light with cute interactions between Grant, Caron, and the kids but I wasn't sure I bought the romantic chemistry between Caron and Grant. Sure, there's a huge age difference but this IS Cary Grant we're talking about so if anyone can make that work, it's him. In this case it was kind of lukewarm. The situation (and this is kind of a situation comedy) is fun and I got a kick out of all the back-forth between Grant's character and Trevor Howard's Royal Navy commander. 

The show could have used some tightening up but it gets the job done. This was one of Grant's last films and while this one is fine, it's perhaps a bit of a shame he didn't do something more interesting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment