Saturday, December 3, 2022

Songs I Didn't Skip (Part 31)

 I suppose one day I'll load all of these songs into a playlist and see how many I'd bypass a second time. At least I'm creating some long-ass road trip playlists for when I drive across the country.

"Don't Get Me Wrong" by The Pretenders (1986)

This very catchy song has a perfect ending at a time where it could have easily taken the easy way and faded out. It's also one of my favorite singles from this band.

"Rockaway Beach" by The Ramones (1977)

The Ramones do surf rock.

"You Can't Get What You Want (Till You Know What You Want) by Joe Jackson (1984)

A fun, brass and slap bass-centered tune with a pretty awkward title.

"Honky Cat" by Elton John (1972)

I've always liked this track with its banjo and trombone instrumentation.

"Southern Nights" by Glen Campbell (1977)

The same year I saw "Star Wars" in the theater 12 times, this song was on the radio. Glen really had a way with the guitar hooks.

"Rockmaker" by Toto (1978)

Mid-tier Toto is just fine but it sounds like they couldn't come up with any lyrics for the chorus after singing, "Rockmaker...". Artistic license I suppose but it seems out of place for this band.

"Saved by Zero" by The Fixx (1983)

I now have BOTH hits by The Fixx on this list. 

"Hot For Teacher" by Van Halen (1984)

Say what you will about the lyrics, this track is TIGHT with a Deep Purple-esque opening drum solo and none of the synths that people griped about on other tracks from "1984".  I forget sometimes what chops this band had.

"You Dropped a Bomb on Me" by The Gap Band (1982)

On this funky tune, the character of the bomb is played by...the tympani. And props to these guys for resisting the temptation to not use the electronic "falling bomb" sound until midway through.

"Foxy Lady" by Jimi Hendrix (1967)

I almost had to skip this one since it still reminds me of "Wayne's World". Curses!

"I Was Made For Dancin'" by Leif Garrett (1979)

My, this really was peak non-cool white Disco, wasn't it.

"Let the Four Winds Blow" by Fats Domino (1961)

"From the East to the West, I love you the best."

"Days Are Numbers (The Traveller)" by The Alan Parsons Project (1984)

From the sound of this song, it seems like this guy was doing a lot of traveling in elevators.

"Waterloo" by Abba (1974)

It's remarkable how fully-formed this group's sound was on their first single, the sax not withstanding.

"I Can't Get Next to You" by Al Green (1970)

The line, "I've been trying to call you all day but I don't have your number" gives me pause. How, Al, are you trying to call this elusive person? Do you pester the poor operator? So many questions. 

"Heartbreak Hotel" by Elvis Presley (1956)

I love the bare-bones production of this track where you can really hear Bill Black and Chet Atkins.

"I'll Be Back" by The Beatles (1964)

In love, some of us are gluttons for punishment.

"Teahouse on the Tracks" by Donald Fagen (1993)

This album was kind of a soft opening for Steely Dan to resume making albums and touring again as Becker played on the album and toured with Fagen to promote it. It's not prime material but does have an extended trombone solo. 

"You & Eye" by David Byrne (1994)

I listened to this album a lot when it came out as I had just moved to Minneapolis and this was one of the first CDs I bought while working at Musicland (during my misspent retail years). The song is one of the better ones on the album with Byrne's fondness for Latin styles and a killer bass solo.

"Things I Miss the Most" by Steely Dan (2003)

This may not be peak-Dan but it's very funny and of course musically impeccable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment