Thursday, June 30, 2022

Songs I Didn't Skip (Part 24)

"Quiche Lorraine" by The B-52s (1980)

This is quite the dog-walking song though it's a wee bit unfair to Great Danes.

"Patch My Heart" by The Mad Lads (1966)

A really good old R&B song I don't remember hearing, complete with an old-time salon sounding piano. And if I didn't know better, I would never have guessed this band was called The Mad Lads.

"Carolina in My Mind" by James Taylor (1976)

I had no idea this classic recording was a re-do from his debut LP in 1968, made for the Beatles'-owned Apple Records. Still, despite its familiarity I still dig this song. Another bass fact: Lee Sklar played on this song (the redo). Sklar is one of my favorite electric bassists. Go check him out. He has a hell of a beard, too.

"Cities" by Talking Heads (1979)

One of Tina Weymouth's better bass lines. The song fades IN and OUT. Does this mean David Byrne never stops deliberating on where to live? I don't know, but a dry ice factory is a good place to get some thinking done. 

"The Big Sky" by Kate Bush (1985)

I like seeing Kate get some contemporary appreciation, thanks to a certain Netflix show. There's supposedly a didgeridoo on the song but it's pretty buried in the mix. 

"Kind Hearted Woman Blues by Robert Johnson (1937)

It's pretty easy to forgot how influential this guy was. There's just something about those old cuts that really hits you. Choice lyric:  "She's a kind-hearted woman. She studies evil all the time." Yowza. 

"I Want Your Love" by Chris Issak (1993)

There's a pretty clear through-line from the previous song on this list to this one. It was interesting to hear these back to back.

"Surfin' Bird" by The Trashmen (1963)

I first heard this song on the "Full Metal Jacket" soundtrack and found it pretty fun and kinda strange. It's one of those odd little one-off songs that sounds pretty unique, considering it's really just a basic 60s surf tune (it's actually two songs or quotes another song at the end). The band was a Minneapolis-based surf-rock (!) band that broke out of its regional status with this song. I love how the sound of the recording just washes over you in waves, intentional or not. The track sounds like it was recorded with distortion in mind and sounds like those old analog electronics are just being pounded. 

Fun fact:  this was recorded at a studio in Minneapolis that a group I play in also recorded in.

Alternate fun fact:  This song was NOT a favorite of my old friend Eric S. Back in 1987/88 or so, a few of us stopped at Eric's house to pick him up and as soon as he opened the car door, we blasted this song on the stereo. It was kind of a dick move, but I think we all laugh about it now. If not, sorry Eric.

"The Beast and the Dragon, Adored" by Spoon (2005)

It's been fun revisiting all of this almost 20 year old alt-rock stuff.

"Sweetheart" by Franke & The Knockouts (1981)

I was surprised to hear this wasn't released in 1978. It really has that Ambrosia thing going on.

"Overjoyed" by Stevie Wonder (1985)

Even a middling SW song is still good, even one like this that sounds pretty dated and overproduced. 

"Black Dog" by Led Zeppelin (1971)

I'm not going to have anything new to say about this classic but come on, it's named for a black dog!

"Stuck in the Middle With You" by Stealers Wheel (1971)

More Scots! This Bob Dylan-esque song was apparently mocking the record business and, I didn't realize this was produced by Leiber and Stoller

"Blue Ridge Mountains" by Fleet Foxes (2008)

This record has such a great reverb-drenched folky/melancholy vibe.

"Please Mr. Please" by Olivia Newton-John (1975)

I have often been mellow. And hey, the original UK B Side to this was "Don't Cry For Me Argentina". That's pretty goofy.

"Storms in Africa" by Enya (1988)

I somehow got even MORE mellow! If this wasn't used for an IMAX movie at a science museum, someone was asleep at the wheel...from listening to too much Enya. That doesn't make much sense, does it.

"Stay Up Late" by Talking Heads (1985)

There ended up being a lot of songs by this band on here but they come up a lot and songs like this are just too damn fun to pass up.

No comments:

Post a Comment