Thursday, May 2, 2019

Dad's Movies: "The Blue Max" (1966)

There's gonna be a lot of war on this viewing project!

I may have actually seen The Blue Max (1966) before but I don't really remember it so it was a good excuse to give it a look.

This is one of the best films I've watched on the list so far. It reminded me a little of "Battle of Britain" in that it was made around the same time and has a lot of impressive air battle scenes using real planes. The big difference is that this film is way ahead in that it uses its cast well with a good script with interesting characters.

George Peppard is as good in this film as anything I can recall. I am not a fan of "Breakfast At Tiffany's" where, among other issues, I find Peppard's performance uninteresting (maybe miscast?) but here he's very good as the medal-obsessed flying ace. His foil, another pilot, is played by Jeremy Kemp who also played Picard's brother in Star Trek: TNG, is great as well.

The rest of the cast is excellent and is a very good drama set in World War I which was definitely an interesting setting that is often underrepresented in Hollywood films.

I will be revisiting this one for sure, hopefully with an HD copy - this was from a DVD version which is just so-so in the image quality department.

No comments:

Post a Comment